Last Week of October and Halloween Party!

What a fun week that was…although I’d be okay with no more indoor recesses in the middle of a classroom transformation day the week before conferences and Halloween!

Thank you so much to those of you who contributed to today’s Array Bakery, and for sharing your wonderful kiddo with me. I love my job, and much of that is thanks to the hard work YOU put in with raising my students!

I did include some photos at the end of the post from today, and look forward to doing the same of our Halloween party next Friday.

Thanks so much!

——————————————————————————————–

Moving onto Timed 9’s This Week

When you see your child’s Unit 1 Test in the conferences packet (coming home next week Tuesday), you might see some great multiplication strategies at work, but a wrong answer and lost points because of miscounted tally marks or miscounting when skip counting (GREAT strategies to understand what multiplication means, but time intensive and prone to little errors).

This is a prime example of why we are working SO HARD on memorizing these facts in a snap with flash cards!

We will be taking our next timed facts test this week. We have all passed our 5’s now — hooray!

• Students who passed 10’s move onto 9’s (I mistyped last week; we will be taking 9’s this coming Friday, which the kids have been practicing at school this past week)
  • Students who passed 2’s will move onto 10’s
  • Students who passed 5’s will move onto 2’s

Thank you for your help diligently practicing with your child!

——————————————————————————————–

Parent Teacher Conferences

Parent Teacher Conferences are scheduled for two nights this coming week:

• Tuesday, October 27th
  • Wednesday, October 28th

A packet the following materials will be sent home with your child on Tuesday:

• A couple of self assessments completed by your child
  • Your child’s Unit 1 Math Test
  • Your child’s published piece of writing from Unit 1
  • Reading materials on 3rd grade literacy/suggested booklists

Please be sure to sign into the Zoom link sent to you from Calendly with your child’s name in the title. This will help me to ensure I’m only letting in appropriate participants from the waiting room. Thank you!

——————————————————————————————–

Halloween Party

Our Halloween party will be on Friday, October 30th.

REMINDERS:

• We will not be able to have parent volunteers or guests at this party 🙁 However your prayers, well wishes, good energy, positive vibes are all welcome as I facilitate this event alone at 39 weeks pregnant
  • As you choose Halloween costumes, only school appropriate costumes will be allowed.
      • Thank you for avoiding violent, gory costumes for the school setting
  • Students will be able to wear their costumes to school this year! Yay!
  • Thank you to those of you who have have contributed to the Sign Up Genius — my parents this year ROCK! 
      • Please get all Halloween party supplies into school by Wednesday, October 28th so I have plenty of time to get them set. This will be especially helpful with conferences happening this week, too

——————————————————————————————–

Substitute Teacher

A reminder that Mrs. Lopez will be in this week to observe, and also to teach a bit.

I am due November 8, but plan to work right up until Baby makes its debut.

I’m so excited to have Mrs. Lopez in our room — she is wonderful, and will be an excellent teacher for your kiddo, as sad as I am that it means I don’t get to be in the classroom with them for a while 🙁

Thank you in advance for your support of Mrs. Lopez, just like you’ve been so kind, supportive, and gracious to me in this weird year. You guys are the best group of parents out there!

——————————————————————————————–

Curriculum

This week begins the first lesson or two in 3rd grade content and curriculum. I can’t wait to partner with you to help your child reach his or her full academic potential this year!

• Reading: We will begin our unit centered around mysteries this week. I can’t wait…the kids love it, and it is such a fun one to teach!
  • Writing: This week we will continue Unit 2 of our Writer’s Workshop, “Changing the World: Persuasive Speeches”. This past week kids looked around them to notice noteworthy people, as well as issues they see at school and practiced creating a strong thesis, collecting convincing evidence, and “talking” directly to their audience in their persuasive speech flash drafts.
  • Word Work: Students will be working on spelling patterns based on individual needs indicated by a spelling inventory we took in September. This will be done through both small group and individual practice.
  • Math: We will continue Unit 2, learning our remaining multiplication families and introduction to multi-step story problems. This is HARD for kids — we will really need to draw on our grit and growth mindset throughout this unit! Thank you for your reinforcement of this at home 🙂

——————————————————————————————–

Upcoming Dates

• Monday, October 26: No School
  • Tuesday October 27 / Wednesday October 28: Virtual Parent Teacher Conferences for MRS. DETERS ONLY!
  • Friday, October 30: Halloween Party
  • Friday, November 13: Early Release (12:15 pm dismissal)
  • Wednesday, November 25 – Sunday, November 28: Thanksgiving Break (No School)
  • Monday, December 21 – Sunday, January 3: Holiday Break

Above: “Pastry school” (Bakers Work in the Community)

Tossing Caps!

Above: Video of 8 year-old “pastry school graduates” following their graduation ceremony

Above: Cookie Arrays…plus a snack when done 🙂

Above: We created our own colorful Donut Multiplication game boards!

Above: 18 mini bakers take a walk down the hallway…

Above: It looked different than in years past, but our bakers stayed at their work stations and did a LOT of activities there today! From culinary school, to graduation, to donut arrays, to lots of edible treats — they rocked their bakery!

Above: Bakers had to describe their array to me (“I have 3 rows of chocolate chips with 8 chocolate chips in each row”) before they could eat up their hard work. This was sticky, but delicious 🙂

print